• According to the survey conducted by the Sociological Group “Rating”, these days, almost 40% of Ukrainians would like to have their own business, while 10% already own business. On the other hand, half of the respondents do not express such intentions. Over the last six months, the number of the latter has somewhat increased (41% in June 2018). A higher level of desire to start own business is observed among younger respondents and those with higher income. At the same time, a quarter of the latter category stated that they were already running their own business.
• At the same time, the role of the state in economic development is seen by the majority of the respondents (64%) first of all in the maintenance of income equality and social justice and not in the establishment of development freedom and fair competition rules. The last thesis is supported by 27%. The number of social equality supporters has been significantly increasing over time (from 48% in June last year to 64% in February this year). Government support for competition is more approved by younger respondents, residents of the Central and Eastern regions, individuals with higher income, and those who intend to have or already run their own business. At the same time, even within the latter group, 40% to 60% support social equality.
• Two-thirds of the polled tend to believe the state interferes with the activities of small and medium-sized enterprises in Ukraine. Only 7% think the authorities are promoting entrepreneurship, and 14% believe they do not currently interfere with business. The residents of the Southern macro-region and those with lower income were somewhat more likely to agree with the thesis that the state interferes with business activities in Ukraine.
• 57% think it is necessary to leave a simplified tax system as it stimulates business development. Only 19% support the elimination of such a tax system, because it allows avoiding taxes. A quarter of the polled were unable to express their opinion on this matter. The number of the simplified taxation system supporters is higher among the entrepreneurs, residents of the Center, and those with high income.
• The vast majority of the polled (77%) support the reduction of bank interest rates for small business. Only 9% do not approve such an idea, and 14% were not able to answer. Somewhat more inclined to support such an initiative are those who either already run or want to start their own business, middle-aged people, those with average and low income, and residents of the Eastern regions.
• Among the representatives of different business categories, the polled are inclined to trust small (63%) and medium (60%) entrepreneurs the most. 27% trust the owners of large businesses (20% in September 2018). On the other hand, the level of trust in the oligarchs is low - 8%. The indicator of confidence in businessmen, especially of middle and upper level, is significantly higher among high-income respondents. At the same time, small businessmen are equally trusted by all categories in terms of both age and income.
Audience: residents of Ukraine aged 18 and older. The sample is representative in terms of age, gender, region, and settlement type. Total sample: 2500 respondents. Personal formalized interview (face-to-face). The margin of error does not exceed 2%. Period of the survey: February 19-28, 2019