According to the research conducted by the Sociological group "Rating" at the beginning of November 2011, 45% of respondents feel the curtailment of the freedom of speech in Ukraine after presidential elections. 32% of respondents do not feel the curtailment of the freedom of speech, other 22% - have not decided on this issue.
- In November 2011 we recorded the worst index in the last two years: only 32% of respondents do not feel the curtailment of the freedom of speech, only 9% of them are absolutely confident in this fact. Thus, after a temporary improvement of the indices at the beginning of 2011, they have deteriorated again at the end of the year. We should remind that in April 2010 two thirds of citizens did not feel the curtailment of the freedom of speech, today – this index is half as much.
- Negative tendencies connected with the freedom of speech are mostly mentioned by middle-aged people, with relatively higher levels of education. Men feel this problem more acutely than women.
- Over the past six months, the feeling of the freedom of speech curtailment increased among residents of the North, especially Kyiv.
- In the North, in the West, in the Center and in the South of the country the number of people who feel the curtailment of the freedom of speech exceeds the number of respondents who do not notice such processes. We speak, above all, about supporters of Civil Position, Batkivshchyna, Freedom, UDAR and Front for Change.
- At the same time, in the East and in Donbas the majority of people do no feel the curtailment of the freedom of speech in the country. We speak, above all, about supporters of the Party of Regions and the CPU.
The target audience of the research: the population of Ukraine aged from 18 and older. Optional quantity: 2000 respondents. The methods of investigation: personal formalized interview according to the questionnaire (face to face). Measure of inaccuracy for the values close to 50% is less than 2,2%, for the values close to 30% – less than 2%, for the values close to 10% – less than 1,3. The period of completion: 25 of October – 6 of November 2011
The oblast’ distribution:
West: Volyns’ka, Transcarpathia, Ivano–Frankivs’ka, L’vivs’ka, Rivnens’ka, Ternopil’s’ka, Chernivets’ka.
Centre: Vinnyts’ka, Kirovograds’ka, Poltavs’ka, Khmel’nyts’ka, Cherkas’ka.
North: Kyiv, Kyivs’ka, Zhytomyrs’ka, Sums’ka, Chernihivs’ka.
South: AR Crimea, Odes’ka, Khersons’ka, Mykolaivs’ka, Sevastopol
East: Dnipropetrovs’ka, Zaporiz’ka, Kharkivs’ka.
Donbass: Donets’ka, Luhans’ka.