• According to the research carried out by the Sociological Group "Rating", only 19% of the respondents support the introduction of agricultural land sale. 73% stand against this initiative, 8% have not decided on the issue. A relatively higher level of support for the land market introduction was recorded among younger and wealthier respondents, as well as among owners of land units, cultivated by them independently. But even in these categories, the number of the initiative opponents is at least 60%.
• The sale of agricultural land to foreigners is even less supported – by only 13%. 81% of the polled stand against. Despite the fact that among the youngest and those with higher income every fifth doesn’t mind allowing foreign citizens to buy land in Ukraine, three-quarters of these categories’ representatives are strongly opposed to this initiative.
• 74% believe the decision to introduce agricultural land market in Ukraine should be taken in an all-Ukrainian referendum. 17% share the opposite view.
• 58% believe that agricultural lands should be state-owned (following the example of Canada or Israel). 22% are fine with the introduction of land market model like in Italy, where arable land can be sold or bought. 20% could not choose among these examples of the land market. Those older and poorer respondents, and also those who have no land units are more likely to support the dominance of state ownership of land, while those younger, wealthier, and owners of units, cultivated by them independently are more inclined to support another model. At the same time, even among the latter categories, at least half support the Canadian or Israeli land market models.
• Among the main advantages of introducing agricultural land market, the respondents most often chose the following: landowners can manage it at their own discretion (26%); this will help to create new jobs in the countryside (18%); land sale will attract investments in Ukraine (14%); this will allow us to obtain a fair market price for land (13%); this will allow farmers to borrow against land (13%). No more than 7% of the polled mentioned the destruction of the grey land market, promotion of small and medium-sized businesses, increase of state budget revenues, and promotion of better control over soil ecology. 35% of the respondents do not see any advantages in lifting the moratorium on the arable land sale. The owners of the independently cultivated land units more often than others chose among the advantages the opportunities to manage the land at their discretion, to promote jobs creation, and to attract investments in Ukraine. Instead, those who own the units but lease them are more likely to believe there are no advantages in land market introduction.
• Among the main risks of introducing agricultural land market, the respondents most often chose the following: the land can be bought by foreigners (41%); land units owners can be deceived while selling land (31%); currently, land market introduction is dangerous due to the imperfection of the current legislation (31%); lifting the moratorium on the land sale will allow the oligarchs to buy it (23%). 17% believe that free sale of land cannot be introduced during the war; 16% see the threat of destruction of small and medium-sized businesses in the countryside; 13% believe the implementation of this initiative will accelerate the extinction of villages or deprive peasants of a stable income from the land units leasing. Only 5% see no risks in introducing free arable land market. Threats of land sail to foreigners, frauds of land unit owners, and imperfection of current legislation were most often mentioned by those land units owners who personally cultivate them.
Audience: residents of Ukraine aged 18 and older. The sample is representative in terms of age, gender, region, and settlement type. Total sample: 2000 respondents. Personal formalized interview (face-to-face). The margin of error does not exceed 2.2%. Period of the survey: September 28 – October 1, 2019
You can see the presentation
online or download full version
to you computer